January 4, 2014

Kafka on the Shore


Yay for the first book I've finished this year! Actually started reading this Haruki Murakami piece early December pa :))))



Murakami's a twisted writer who tests one's imagination, comprehension, and general consciousness. I love the complexities of the plot, the correlation of the characters, and the spontaneous flow of the story.

In Kafka on the Shore, Murakami tells a story about fate, and how a person accepts and lives what's destined for him/her. No matter how odd our fate may be, we believe that it's what we're born for. More importantly, along the way, we chance on people who help us fulfill our destiny.

"Sometimes fate is like a small sandstorm that keeps changing directions."

"Chance encounters are what keep us going."

"Fate is one strange thing."

I specifically find Hoshino fascinating. He just went along the stream of his fate from meeting Mr. Nakata to accompanying him in his exciting journey, to achieving his role with regards to the entrance stone.

"I'm the one who chose this path and I've got to see it through the end."

Here are other takeaways from the beautiful Murakami piece relevant to anyone's life:

"In dreams begin responsibilities."

"A theory is a battlefield in your head."

"War breeds war. Lapping up the blood shed by violence, feeding on wounded flesh. War is a perfect, self-contained being."

"Why does loving somebody mean you have to hurt them just as much? I mean, if that's the way it goes, what's the point of loving someone? Why the hell does it have to be like that?"


I'm not sure I already understand my life purpose. I don't even have a concrete idea yet about what or where I'm destined to be.

"The world's filled with things I don't know about."

But for this new year, I'll be breathing in Mr. Nakata's attitude on his fate --- "I'll know it when I see it / get there" and accept it like how Kafka Tamura did with his.

Excited for what this year has in store for me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment